Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Bathroom Monologue: Wolfman Op-Ed



To any well-meaning bodies at NASA,

Ever since humanity grew tired of hunting down werewolves for sport and pretended to give us human rights, it's been suggested that we ought to play our role. To do our part. To contribute to man's world. The most recent evidence of this thinking is a suggestion at the TED Talks that we go into space where more mortal man has difficulty. This is a plainly racist presumption.

To be a werewolf is to suffer the curse of immortality. I myself still attempt to take my life on an annual basis even though I can't. Do you think this makes me durable? Well immortality is not invincibility. And just as I feel the sting of the knife, so I would feel my ass freezing off in the depths of space.

Have you ever seen one of us transform? It's hard on the wardrobe. Any space suit is going to rip and then you turn us into immortal ice cubes floating around the Sea of Tranquility.

What galls me is the suggestion that we're doing this because we're forgiven. The proposal acts like we're supposed to be happy to get a supply of oxygen. Suffocating and starving still suck even if they don't kill you, and there's no guarantee all of us won't wolf out on the shuttle or on the surface. Trust me that when you arrive expecting me to have built a space station, my hairy ass will have been in no mood to greet you.

On behalf of the damned among you: we politely decline.

Sincerely,
Jonathan Talbot

7 comments:

  1. Reading your post made me think of that old school Michael J. Fox movie, Teen Wolf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen that movie since I was 10, but I remember loving it at the time. How does it hold up?

      Delete
  2. Thank you. I love it - and it is about where my mind had taken me yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome! Thank you for nudging me into posting a dissenting opinion.

      Delete
  3. I like that. It's like a rebuttal (is that the word I want?) of the other one about sending the werewolves to the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never thought about werewolves in space suits before.

    ReplyDelete

Counter est. March 2, 2008