Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Mum At the Final Act

Apologies for recent and short-term blogging silence, friends and fellow readers. The biggest thing slowing The Bathroom Monologues has been on my novel-in-progress, We Don't Always Drown. I've just finished re-plotting the final act and think it's devious enough to go forward. Right now it weighs 76,000 words and feels ready for a big trick of a conclusion. I'm hoping to finish the rough draft before next weekend, when I hit NYC to see Waiting for Godot with friends.

This composition string has taken its toll on reading time; I'm even days behind on blogs, let alone my NaNoReMo pick.

I'm a third of the way through The Master and Margarita. At this stage in my career, I still feel awkward critically assessing the novels of others. So far the novel is delightfully cheesy in a way that none of the Russian heavy hitters I've ever read has gone for, including the deliberate, knowing setup conversation between those darned secular elites and the man we know will turn out to be Satan, as they deny his existence only to be blown away.

This is a good cheese, and an unusual cheese, especially for the contrast of flashback narratives to Pontius Pilate's encounters with a Yeshua of some renown. This Yeshua behaves skittishly, mortal to a fault, even denying his own teachings to get out of being convicted. Where the Satan-against-Soviets satire seemed gleefully pro-Christian, this depiction reads highly anti-Christian. Am I wrong? I almost hope not, because the collision of those two themes could make an incredible novel, and one third of the way in, The Master and Margarita hasn't uncloaked its true shape yet. It could wind up as a number of kinds of novels.

What this really calls for is research on cultural context, but I'm so deep into writing my own novel that reading time is slim. This has slowed down my consumption of Bulgakov's novel, but I'm no less enthused to read it.

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your progress with your novel. Devious? I am sure it is. And am really looking forward to reading it in the fullness of time.
    I too am having difficulties with my NaNoReMo book. Rather a lot of them. But keep picking it up. And putting it down. And picking it up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least my difficulties are ancillary - I'm quite happy to read mine. What grief has Rushdie been giving you? I hope yours isn't a blog post I've missed.

      Delete
    2. No, you haven't missed it. I will put one up when I finish. I think the problem is that I can't engage with the characters. I don't care what happens to them. Which makes it very easy to put the book down, and harder to pick it up again. There is a lot to admire in what I have read, but that it a huge hurdle for me. So... still reading, and wondering where that difficulty comes from.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your magnificent progress with your novel - well done! It' seems we're all having difficulties with our NaNoReMo books - I struggled through chapter V of Tom Brown's School days, where I was treated to a blow by blow account of a Rugby game... but now the next chapter is picking up and the roasting of sausages in front of a huge fire made me somewhat hungry ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was there anything to the Rugby game? Any literary insights or style? Otherwise, I confess I might have skimmed. Certainly nothing skimmable in Master and Margarita yet.

      Delete
    2. I did end up scrumming the last few pages ^_^

      Delete
    3. Bah damn auto correct - scrumming should read skimming *_*

      Delete
  3. I know when I'm writing, reading goes on the back burner. Hope you finish this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very honestly that is good news about the novel but moving right along...

    WAITING FOR GODOT IS PLAYING AND NO-ONE TOLD ME???? That is my all-time, absolute favourite play, and I have never seen it produced. Friends of mine have even put on a production, and I had to miss it. I tried to Google for this production and couldn't find anything -- do you have a link? I'm wondering if I could still manage a weekend.

    Now I feel (even more) doomed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if they're sold out, but Godot is up until March 30th, leading with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen.

      http://www.twoplaysinrep.com/

      Delete
  5. Working on your novel is the best excuse ever for not blogging or reading a lot. Way better than having blogging or reading keep you from not writing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on getting near the end of the rough draft for your novel. Have fun in NYC with your friends.

    ReplyDelete

Counter est. March 2, 2008